Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Infield

The season ends this weekend, so I decided to get my thoughts on the Pirates down before hockey takes over. (Yes, I know it's football season. I'm just not jazzed about it this year, and I'm not 100% sure why not. Maybe watching the Baltimore game on Sunday while wearing my Hines Ward shirt will rev me up.) The Pirates have played pretty well down the stretch, winning seven of nine on their last home stand, beating St. Louis impressively last night. (Sure, it's a St. Louis AAAA team, but Pujols and Holliday played, so I'm taking full satisfaction.) The home record was 40-41, so even a return to being bad on the road next year can lead to quite a bit of improvement. (Just winning one of three on the road would have made this season's final record 67-95, which stinks, but we'd all take it right now.)

I'll get the whole team during the week. I'll start with the infield.

Catcher - Not really a weakness right now, but not a strength, and no one can afford to spend what will probably be at least 25% of next years budget on one position that's not better than this. Doumit can hit, can't catch; Snyder can catch, but can't hit. One of them has to go. It looks like the hitting might be coming around in other positions, and this will be a young staff that might benefit from a better receiver, so I'm thinking Snyder stays. The backup has to have a bat, so one may have to be obtained, unless they want to roll the dice with Eric Kratz, who hit well in Indianapolis. Tony Sanchez is on the way, but not before 2013.

First Base - If Garrett Jones hits like he did the second half of 2009, this position is set. If he hits like he did this year, he could be a decent left-handed half of a platoon if you can find a right-handed bopper. Getting half a player is easier than getting a whole player, so this might work out. (Steve Pearce, anyone?)

Second Base - Neil Walker. Boy, did our crack scouts miss the boat on this one.

Shortstop - Ronny Cedeno stinks. I'm not scout, but even I can see why teams keep giving him a chance. 2010 was his sixth year in the Show; if he was going to show any consistency, he would have shown it. He continues to make errors on routine plays, which a contact pitching staff such as ours can't afford. On offense, he has some pop, but his average is low, and only Stephen Hawking walks less. A key position to upgrade.

Third Base - Pedro Alvarez. Coming on strong, closing holes in his swing. Looks like he might be as good as they said he'd be.

Next: The Outfield

No comments: